Looking for an easy Grinch craft? Check out this Grinch Painted Rock Craft! A fun way to create your favorite Christmas character! This is an easy Grinch craft that needs minimal supplies to make.
Rock painting is a lot of fun, and this Christmas rock can be put on display, giving to a loved one, and more. Learn how to paint the Grinch!
Table of contents
Why This Craft Is So Popular
- Simple Supplies Needed
- Quick to Paint
- Affordable Christmas Craft
- Fun for Adults and Kids
- Fun Christmas Decor Craft or Gift Idea
Here are a few of the supplies needed for painting rocks!
- Oval Rocks 2-3″ size
- Acrylic Paints
- Paint Brushes
- White Pipe Cleaner
- Red Cardstock
- Pom Pom, White
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue
- Modge Podge
How to Make
Full directions are in the printable How-To card below. This is a quick overview of the craft.
Step 1: Start by painting your rock green. Allow it to fully dry, depending on paint, you might need to do two coats.
For his hat, you will cut a triangle shape 1.5 x 1.5″ out of red cardstock. Then cut 1.5″ of a white pipe cleaner, that you hot glue on the bottom of the triangle. Then glue on the pom pom at the tip of the hat.
Step 2: Next, you will take your pencil and sketch on the Grinch face. He has somewhat of a sunflower seed shaped eye, small nose that connects between eyes. Curve line then his large smile. You can add on a few lines like I did.
Step 3: Now with a small tip paintbrush and the black paint, work on painting the lines you drew with the pencil.
Step 4: Paint yellow in the center of his eyes. I used a lighter yellow.
Step 5: Next, grab your red paint and finish off his eyes. Red is what I used for his pupils. If you want, do a coat or two of the Modge Podge for sealing the rock.
Step 6: Then you will glue on the Santa had, and your Grinch painted rock is complete.
Here are a few expert tips for making this Grinch rock painting! A fun and easy DIY rock painting guide.
- Feel free to use paint markers in replace of acrylic paint for this rock craft.
- Add a little putty on the back side of the rock to hold it into place as you paint it.
- I prefer to use a set of brushes that has really small tips, for little work like this.
- The modge podge is optional. It is the way to seal the rock art, and help it from preventing chips.
- Have fun doing other Christmas painting ideas with paint or paint pens.
- I recommend river rocks for painting rocks!
River rocks are a great option as they are flat. You want to have a smooth surface, that way you can get a clean slate for painting.
Acrylic paint is what I recommend for painting rocks. You can use other varieties of paint, you just want to ensure it sticks to the rock.
Reach for a modge podge or even a sealer to spray over the top of the rock. I used a modge podge, and did 2 coats to ensure it is sealed all around.
Put them out on display, gift to a loved one, place on a mantle to display. Feel free to do whatever you want. You can even place your rocks outside in your garden, around your walkway, etc.
More Christmas Ideas
- Pokemon Go Christmas Ornament
- Outdoor Christmas Decor
- Gifts for Her This Christmas
- DIY Tree Christmas Ornament
- Felt Snowman Craft
Easy Grinch Painted Rock Craft
Learn how to paint this Grinch Painted Rock! A fun and festive Christmas rock art to put on display or gift a loved one. A super easy river rock painting idea.
- 2-3" oval rock
- Black Acrylic Paint
- Green Acrylic Paint
- Yellow Acrylic Paint
- Red Acrylic Paint
- Paint Brush
- Red Cardstock
- White Pipe Cleaner
- White Pom Pom
- Modge Podge
- Hot Glue Gun
- Glue Stick for Glue Gun
- Start by painting your rock green. You might need to do 1-2 layers of paint, depending on the color.
- Let the rock completely dry and then work on the scetch of the Grinch face. The Grinch eyes are like the shape of a sunflower seeds out of the shell.
- Add on the little round nose, some wrinkle lines, and the big grin.
- Now begin to paint the face with the black paint, and allow it to dry.
- Paint the grinches eyes yellow, allow to dry, and then do the pupil of the eye red.
- Once the Grinch rock is done, seal with modge podge.
- For the hat, you will cut 1.5 x 1.5" triangle. Then you will cut 1.5" pipe cleaner, and glue on the bottom of the hat. Add a pom pom on top with hot glue.
- Once the rock is dried, hot glue the hat on top.
Expert Tip: Place a bit of putty on the back side of the rock, to hold it into place as you work on it.
If you need help with sketching, feel free to look online, or view the picture I did to mimic it.
Feel free to use smaller or larger sized rock.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tuesday 4th of April 2023
Can you be more specific about the content of your article? After reading it, I still have some doubts. Hope you can help me.
learn to earn
Thursday 23rd of March 2023
Reading your article has greatly helped me, and I agree with you. But I still have some questions. Can you help me? I will pay attention to your answer. thank you.